Welcome to the Website of The
Here you will be able
to keep your finger on the pulse of life in Walden.
This is your website,
completely interactive and updated daily.
You can access and add community events and be kept
up to date on important issues.
The Walden C.A.N. was
established by the Greater City of Sudbury in 2005
to serve as a community resource for development and
also a source of information and feedback to the
Walden C.A.N. is an
organization that is here for you, the people of
It is our joy to show
you that Walden is a superb place to live.
Walden-CAN Winter 2013.pdf
Walden is a vast area
of lakes, forest and farmland. Nestled amongst this
beautiful area are many small communities each with
a strong sense of who they are.
These communities are
Beaver Lake, Worthington, Fairbanks, Den-Lou, Penage,
Whitefish, Naughton, Black Lake and Lively.
Lively is the largest
of these communities and can provide most of the
needs that feed all the surrounding area.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
City of Lakes Family Health Team receives
provincial funding for Walden clinic
The City of Greater Sudbury
welcomes the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s
contribution to assist in bringing a new Family
Health Team office to Walden.
The funding stems from a
program announced by the Ministry in 2005 for the
implementation of 150 Family Health Teams to address
the shortage of family medicine practitioners in the
province of Ontario. It is estimated that there are
currently over 30,000 patients within the City of
Greater Sudbury without a family physician or
primary health care provider.
"We are dedicated to
ensuring that all residents have access to primary
health care and personalized service", said Greater
Sudbury Mayor, John Rodriguez. "The Walden Family
Health Team will be comprised of four new
physicians, recruited by the City’s Strategic
Physician Recruitment and Retention Program prior to
moving forward with the Walden project."
The four new physicians,
three of whom are native Sudburians, will be taking
on 6,000 new patients when the facilities open in
"We are extremely excited
about this announcement," said Ward 2 Councillor,
Jacques Barbeau. "It strengthens our commitment to
enhancing the delivery of primary care to the areas
within our City most affected by the shortage of
family medicine practitioners. With the Ministry
funding in place, along with the City’s contribution
of 50% towards infrastructure, we can directly
address the most critical needs of our citizens."
The City of Greater Sudbury
is providing the space to house the Walden Family
Health Team in the former Municipal Offices on Black
Lake Road. The City and the Ministry of Health and
Long-Term Care are sharing the cost of the
renovations to the building. Today’s funding
announcement represents the Ministry’s share of the
improvements required to accommodate the clinic.
Hôpital Régional de Sudbury
Regional Hospital, Ontario Telehealth Network and
the Northern Ontario School of Medicine are also
joint partners in the venture, each committing to
either infrastructure or in-kind contributions.
Citizens who wish to sign on
as new patients are encouraged to contact the Health
Care Connect program by calling 1-800-445-1822. More
information about the program can be found at:
- 30 -
Kate Furlotte, Corporate
City of Greater Sudbury
674-4455 ext. 2513
Walden- Community Action Network
History of Walden
The first inhabitants of the area that became
the town of Walden were the First Nations who
arrived around eleven thousand years ago. The
ancestors of the present day Ojibway came to
this area around 1000 A.D.
The traditional lands of the Whitefish Lake Band
of Ojibway ran from the Vermilion River Valley
on the west, to the Wanapitei and Sturgeon
rivers, and from Lake Penache on the south to
With entry of the French explorers into the area
in the mid-seventeenth century, life for the
First Nations underwent profound changes. The
first Europeans, the Jesuit missionaries, have
documented the Ojibway living in the area since
the mid 1600's.
In 1824, the Whitefish Lake post of the Hudson's
Bay Company was established on the lands that
would become the Reserve. It was a sub-post of
the LaCloche post and in turn, the Whitefish
Lake post supervised a short lived post at
Wahnapitae and another just north of the
Vermilion River at Larchwood.
The lands of the Reserve were established by the
Huron-Robinson Treaty of 1850. Chief
Shawenakeshick signed the treaty on behalf of
the band. The trading post remained on the
reserve and a section of land was claimed by the
Company for firewood for the post.
In 1883, the railway came through what would
become Walden. The Hudson's Bay post was
relocated in 1887 from the Reserve to a section
just south of the railway line. Faced with
competition from the growing town of Sudbury,
the post closed in 1896.
The Naming of a Town
The history of the Town of Walden is full of interesting
stories, and the origin of the name "Walden" is one
which is worth repeating. We only have to go back to the
year 1972 to find the origin of the name Walden. At that
time, the Regional Municipality of Sudbury was being
formed and it meant the uniting of independent towns and
townships into larger bodies.
What is now the Town of Walden was made up of The United
Townships of Drury Denison and Graham, Waters Township,
and the Town of Lively. These areas were organized with
their own councils and mayors (Reeves). In addition,
Lorne, Louise, and Dieppe Townships and parts of the
Townships of Trill, Fairbanks, Creighton and Snider were
included in what was to become the Town of Walden.
In 1972, Charles White, then Reeve of Waters Township,
chaired a joint meeting of the member groups to discuss
a number of issues surrounding the upcoming
amalgamation. One of the topics was a name for the new
Councillor Gertie Falzetta of Drury Denison and Graham
recommended that the new town be known as "Makada" an
early Ojibway name for Black Lake. Councillor John
Robertson of Lively suggested that the name be "Walden".
He said the "W" from Waters, the "L" from Lively, and
the "Den" from Denison could be combined to make up the
name "Walden". He also remembered a county named Walden
he knew as a young boy in Scotland. Other names were
also suggested but it was these two, "Makada" and
"Walden", that made it to the final selection process.
In 1973, the Town of Walden was established and Tom
Davies was appointed the first Mayor.
With the new town established, a crest was needed to
unite the settlements. Randy Grover, Director of
Physical Services for the Town of Walden provided the
design that would become the town crest.
The crest is meant to signify "Unity". The central torch
reflects the Olympic torch, a unifying symbol for the
competitors from many countries. The seven orange flames
represent the seven areas within the Town of Walden.
Inside the seven orange flames are six red flames
representing the named or known named areas within
Walden: Lively-Creighton, Waters, Naughton, Whitefish,
Worthington, and Beaver Lake.
Through the amalgamation of the City of Greater Sudbury
in 2001, the Town of Walden became a significant part of
our city and is still regarded as one of the best
communities in which to live.